High-level representatives of the Baltic Sea countries met in Brussels on 6 March to discuss state and future of the Baltic marine environment. BFFE represented farmers at the meeting and provided the statement.
BFFE Newsletter, published 6.3.2018, also deals with the issue.
The Presidium gathered at Aulanko to discuss the current issues like digitalization. It was also organized the BFFE workshop, which covered HELCOM's latest report on the state of the Baltic Sea, the WFD revision and other specific issues. A summary of the workshop and the presentation on BFFE activities can be found on NBC's website.
Our latest newsletter (June 2017) continues with the theme of nutrient recycling. In addition, e.g. new P regulation in Denmark and ongoing vacuum cleaning of Swedish lakes are dealt.
The meeting of NBC presidium was organized in Sånga-Säby, Sweden. Sustainable agriculture was one of the topics of the meeting, and it was adopted the declaration "Position of BFFE/NBC on Climate Efficient and Sustainable Nordic Livestock Breeding".
BFFE/NBC highlights for climate efficient meat production in northern conditions:
1. Grasslands sequestrate and store carbon thus compensating emissions from agricultural sector
2. New EU climate framework offers a role for managed crop and grasslands
3. Livestock sustains nutrient recycling and biodiversity
4. Precautionary animal healthcare enables sustainable livestock production
5. Energy efficiency and sustainable water use are in the core
6. Research and innovation needed for further improvements
The BFFE conference was organized in Hanasaari, Espoo, Finland. The theme of the conference was agricultural water protection and sustainable food production.
Farmers designed the declaration where they expressed their care for the environment and willingness to further improve their practices.