Our newest newsletter (Dec. 2016) has focus on nutrient recycling and the water framework directive. Are recycled nutrient sources safe enough? Can the targets of the WFD be reached in time?
The meeting of NBC presidium was organized in Sånga-Säby, Sweden. Sustainable agriculture was one of the topics of the meeting, and it was adopted the declaration "Position of BFFE/NBC on Climate Efficient and Sustainable Nordic Livestock Breeding".
BFFE/NBC highlights for climate efficient meat production in northern conditions:
1. Grasslands sequestrate and store carbon thus compensating emissions from agricultural sector
2. New EU climate framework offers a role for managed crop and grasslands
3. Livestock sustains nutrient recycling and biodiversity
4. Precautionary animal healthcare enables sustainable livestock production
5. Energy efficiency and sustainable water use are in the core
6. Research and innovation needed for further improvements
The BFFE conference was organized in Hanasaari, Espoo, Finland. The theme of the conference was agricultural water protection and sustainable food production.
Farmers designed the declaration where they expressed their care for the environment and willingness to further improve their practices.